Because it would require a change to the City Charter, the question has to go before the voters. In the horseshoe I voted that citizens have the right to vote yes or no on this as presented, however, the BOA voted it down narrowly.
A citizens group decided that they would petition for this to be on the ballot, they gathered enough signatures, and the City Clerk has found it sufficient – so this is question two..
2. Shall the City approve the proposed Charter Amendment summarized below relative to the increase in membership and appointment to the Nashua Police Commissioners by the Mayor and the President of the Board of Aldermen upon approval of the Board of Aldermen?
- The amendment changes the membership of Nashua Board of Police Commissioners from three commissioners appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Executive Council,
- to five commissioners with three appointed by the Mayor and two appointed by the President of the Board of Aldermen and all confirmed by the Board of Aldermen.
- Appointments shall be based upon qualifications, merit and record of community service and should be balanced so that the membership of the Commission reflects the citizenship of the City.
- Members of the immediate family of and residents of the same household with the Mayor and any Alderman would be ineligible.
The Governor’s Office took control of Police Commission makeup for cities around the state in the 1800s when corruption was rampant, violence, drugs, prostitution were condoned and encouraged by the powerful in police departments. Through the years as cities have matured and they have taken back local control of the process. All are managing to operate as intended – as a committee of people of the city who answer to the citizens as the link between the police force of the community and the city government.
All except Nashua.
Any application, any interview, any discussion with or of applicants is hidden in the NH State House 36 miles away, and I firmly believe that this is wrong. Our city, our decision, here on camera, an open interview of any proposed candidate.
If you need more insight into my opinion, please write to me email@example.com